(as of October 1, 2013)
Firearms or replicas thereof, ammunition, stun guns, airsoft guns, pellet guns, BB guns, paintball guns, knives (excluding pocketknives), swords, bows/arrows, any other weapons or devices which injure or have the potential to injure another person or property, explosives/explosive devices, fireworks, and dangerous chemicals or fuels are not permitted on campus at any time without authorization of the College. Students may not possess or store any such weapons, devices, or materials anywhere on campus, including in a parked car.
Benefits-eligible employees of Patrick Henry College, Home School Legal Defense Association, or ParentalRights.org who possess a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) that is legally recognized in Virginia are authorized to carry a concealed weapon on campus provided:
- Advanced written notification is submitted to the Office of Campus Services (on provided form).
- The CCW carrier’s authorization to carry a concealed weapon on campus ends with his/her separation from employment with Patrick Henry College, Home School Legal Defense Association, or ParentalRights.org.
- The weapon is only carried when the CCW carrier is awake, alert, and not under the influence of any substance that may impair cognitive or psychomotor abilities.
- The carried weapon is kept fully concealed upon the CCW carrier’s person, or safely stowed out-of-sight and secured within a locked vehicle, or locked office (if applicable).
- Other than that which is fully concealed upon the CCW carrier’s person, no weapons or ammunition may be inside, kept, or stored within any campus residence hall at any time.
- CCW carriers must keep their carrying of a concealed weapon on campus wholly confidential and must keep their weapon from being seen by others on campus. No open carry of weapons is permitted on campus except for law enforcement personnel and persons expressly so authorized by the College.
- CCW carriers may not reveal, expose, show, or display their concealed weapon to any other persons on campus except when emergency conditions prompt the carrier to deploy their concealed weapon for self-defense.
- CCW carriers shall comply with all laws applicable to CCW.
- CCW carriers presumptively release the College, their employer/board/affiliated organizations/officers/employees/agents from any and all liability related to their carrying of a concealed weapon on campus.
Notwithstanding the forgoing, the College reserves its right to restrict any person from bringing weapons on to campus.
Applications for requesting an exception to the above-stated policy are available through the Office of Campus Services. All such requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. All decisions rendered by the College are final, not subject to appeal.